Re: 500W Halogen lamps instead of a flourescent box?

From: Barry Kleider ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 01/21/05-07:59:34 PM Z
Message-id: <>


I also use those lights as I'm finishing my basement to make studio space.

I've seen the warnings, but I'm skeptical about using them for a UV
source. Halogen bulbs burn very hot and can shatter - especially if the
person who loads the bulb gets their greasy mitts on the glass. (I'm
SURE it's NEVER happened to ME...)

I also was in need of a UV source. I cannibalized a couple of 24"
aquarium hoods from an old tank. ($10 at Good Will) These take 18" UV
(black light) fluorescent tubes. Got the tubes at home despot for about
$8 each.

The nice part is I don't have to light up the whole neighborhood for
hours at a time -- or run the air conditioner in January.

Try it out.


Michael Koch-Schulte wrote:

>I've been painting a room as of late. I'm using one of those high output
>500W "work lights" with a steel tube frame stand, available for $10-$15 at
>most hardware stores. It's got a clear UV filter plate on the front of it
>and all sorts of warnings about not removing it yah-da-yah-da. Can I use it
>to create a contact print? I'm thinking mounting it at a distance of about
>3' from the 8X10 frame? Do-able, usable or inadvisable?
Received on Fri Jan 21 20:00:49 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 02/01/05-09:28:09 AM Z CST