Re: 500W Halogen lamps instead of a flourescent box?

From: SteveS ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 01/21/05-09:34:09 PM Z
Message-id: <00ac01c50033$435bd0f0$2004e4d8@VALUED65BAD02C>

How far from the paper are your lamps, Barry? And, how long are your
average times?

S. Shapiro
----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Kleider
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: 500W Halogen lamps instead of a flourescent box?


I also use those lights as I'm finishing my basement to make studio space.

I've seen the warnings, but I'm skeptical about using them for a UV source.
Halogen bulbs burn very hot and can shatter - especially if the person who
loads the bulb gets their greasy mitts on the glass. (I'm SURE it's NEVER
happened to ME...)

I also was in need of a UV source. I cannibalized a couple of 24" aquarium
hoods from an old tank. ($10 at Good Will) These take 18" UV (black light)
fluorescent tubes. Got the tubes at home despot for about $8 each.

The nice part is I don't have to light up the whole neighborhood for hours
at a time -- or run the air conditioner in January.

Try it out.


Michael Koch-Schulte wrote:

I've been painting a room as of late. I'm using one of those high output
500W "work lights" with a steel tube frame stand, available for $10-$15 at
most hardware stores. It's got a clear UV filter plate on the front of it
and all sorts of warnings about not removing it yah-da-yah-da. Can I use it
to create a contact print? I'm thinking mounting it at a distance of about
3' from the 8X10 frame? Do-able, usable or inadvisable?

Received on Fri Jan 21 21:34:42 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 02/01/05-09:28:09 AM Z CST