Re: 500W Halogen lamps instead of a flourescent box?

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 01/22/05-09:33:08 AM Z
Message-id: <029e01c50097$aca23360$9e00a8c0@Sweetwood>

What's the part number on the tubes you bought at home depot. I've seen some black light tubes there but they are nearly $20 a pop.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Barry Kleider
  Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 7:59 PM
  Subject: Re: 500W Halogen lamps instead of a flourescent box?


  I also use those lights as I'm finishing my basement to make studio space.

  I've seen the warnings, but I'm skeptical about using them for a UV source. Halogen bulbs burn very hot and can shatter - especially if the person who loads the bulb gets their greasy mitts on the glass. (I'm SURE it's NEVER happened to ME...)

  I also was in need of a UV source. I cannibalized a couple of 24" aquarium hoods from an old tank. ($10 at Good Will) These take 18" UV (black light) fluorescent tubes. Got the tubes at home despot for about $8 each.

  The nice part is I don't have to light up the whole neighborhood for hours at a time -- or run the air conditioner in January.

  Try it out.


  Michael Koch-Schulte wrote:

I've been painting a room as of late. I'm using one of those high output
500W "work lights" with a steel tube frame stand, available for $10-$15 at
most hardware stores. It's got a clear UV filter plate on the front of it
and all sorts of warnings about not removing it yah-da-yah-da. Can I use it
to create a contact print? I'm thinking mounting it at a distance of about
3' from the 8X10 frame? Do-able, usable or inadvisable?
Received on Sat Jan 22 09:33:40 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 02/01/05-09:28:09 AM Z CST