RE: Nuarc Frame (More Info)

From: Martin Angerman ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 08/09/04-06:49:48 PM Z
Message-id: <>

As far as the technical term, I believe it is called "float glass." It is
made by floating molten glass onto a bed of molten tin. Make it the same
thickness as the original. It should be relatively inexpensive. For a
nominal fee, they might even mount it into the frame for you.

If you call Nuarc, they are very helpful, when you get the fan of old stuff
in customer service.

If you take the part and serial number, you might be able to find something
on the Grainger web site. They are a distributor. There are two types of
pump. One REQUIRES oil, or it will be ruined. The other kind is ruined if
you put oil in it. If the base cabinet does not have an easy-open port, it
is probably an oil-free pump. Best to check, though.

Look at the ends of the vacuum tubing, also. They tend to crack, making
vacuum harder to hold. The one I got off of eBay works, but does not hold
vacuum all that well. I will replace the tubing when I get enough "round
tuits." The VWR catalog will carry it, or in the yellow pages under hoses
or vacuum.

One last thing, I understand that the metal halide units (the newer ones)
will not do cyanotypes.

Good luck

Martin Angerman

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: Nuarc Frame (More Info)

After my initial shock and without trying to get a major cut, I looked at
the glass. It appears to be at least 1/8th of a inch thick. It definately
shattered instead of small "beads" with long wrist-slashing shards.
Now after unpacking the pump, I have more questions. There are two glass
jars attached to the pump. I assume that the larger one is to collect
moisture and perhaps the smaller one is for oil. I am not sure so if anyone
can enlighten me as to maintance and the operation of the pump, I would
greatly appreciate it. The pump is a Dayton and is hugh.

Regards and Thanks

Jonathon Russell

"Expose for the secrets,
 Develop for the surprises!"
> Hi Jonathon,
> There is no special glass for vacuum frames except you should use at 
> 1/4 inch plate glass, and, I forget the term glazers use, but it has to 
> "choice" or "high standard" in that it should not contain any air bubbles
> when manufactured.
> Best,
> Craig Z.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 6:36 PM
> Subject: Nuarc Frame
> > Hello,
> > It's now my turn to use the collected wisdom of the group.
> > I purchased a Nuarc Vacuum frame and pump from E-Bay. While I'm sure 
> the insurance claim will be honored, I was wondering If I will be able to
> use a sheet of glass from a local glass company or is the glass in the
> vacuum frame "special" due to the vacuum created?
> >
> > Regards to one and All,
> >
> > Jonathon Russell
> >
> > --
> > "Expose for the secrets,
> >  Develop for the surprises!"
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
Received on Mon Aug 9 18:53:58 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 09/14/04-09:17:58 AM Z CST