[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
dhcpy6d - a MAC address aware DHCPv6 server
- Subject: dhcpy6d - a MAC address aware DHCPv6 server
- From: h.wahl at ifw-dresden.de (Henri Wahl)
- Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 09:14:54 +0100
like other people we had the problem that existing DHCPv6 servers do not
evaluate the MAC address of clients, following RFC 3315. The IPv4
clients already are managed via their MAC addresses so we wanted to use
these identifiers for IPv6 too for our dualstack network.
At the end we had to write our own DHCPv6 server dhcpy6d which I want to
present here to a larger audience. It runs on Linux, tested on Debian
and CentOS. It gets the client MAC addresses from neighbor cache by
calling "ip -6 neigh" and caches them itself, allowing to access the
already working MAC-based IPv4 infrastructure. This obviously only works
on the local subnet but might be worked around with several servers
being connected via database storage of clients and leases.
- identifies clients by MAC address, DUID or hostname
- generates addresses randomly, by MAC address, by range or by given ID
- filters clients by MAC, DUID or hostname
- assignes more than one address per client
- allows to organize clients in different classes
- stores leases in MySQL or SQLite database
- client information can be retrieved from database or textfile
- dynamically updates DNS (Bind)
We run it with ~500 clients without problems. I am interested if it
would run in larger environments too. If not, how to make it running.
Bugs and ideas how to improve it are welcome too.
Packages are not yet available but the Python code should run as is.
See further details at http://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de
Leibniz-Institut f?r Festk?rper- u.
tel. (03 51) 46 59 - 797
email: h.wahl at ifw-dresden.de
Nagios status monitor for your desktop:
IFW Dresden e.V., Helmholtzstra?e 20, D-01069 Dresden
VR Dresden Nr. 1369
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Ludwig Schultz, Dr. h.c. Dipl.-Finw. Rolf Pfrengle
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 4719 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Kryptografische Unterschrift