From: Dave Dolson
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 10:24 AM
To: Erik Kline; Kyle Larose
Cc: [email protected]; David Bird
Subject: RE: client identifying info between API and enforcement

Erik,

I infer you mean the MAC address is required so that the portal can open/close the firewall using it as a filter.
I'd prefer to see this done at the Internet layer (AKA layer3), with IPv4/6 addresses, to avoid limiting usefulness to a particular access technology.

So then,
(a) one of the user's IP addresses would be used to make the request, but we might expect to include multiple addresses in the body of the request itself.
E.g., to provision IPv4 and (multiple) IPv6 at the same time.

Or, (b) we could say that provisioning must be repeated from each IP address to be used. Then the address could be implicit in the connection used for communication--which also serves as proof of ownership.

Just some thoughts.
-Dave