[Captive-portals] Proposals to discover Provisioning Domains (& Captive Portals)

Hello,

I wanted to give the CAPPORT group a heads up about some related work in the explicit discovery of Provisioning Domains (PvDs), that provides one way of discovering and interacting with Captive Portals and other features of a network:

Proposals to discover Provisioning Domains
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bruneau-pvd/

PvDs are a concept from MIF, and before that group closed, one of the open questions was how to discover and communicate explicit information about networks and prefix ranges to a device. We've been working on this with Cisco, Apple, and Google contributors, and we think that there is a lot of potential synergy with the captive portal discovery.

The document also goes into various tradeoffs of approaches to getting this information, which is a relevant conversation for how we discover and contact captive portals as well.

Please take a read through and let us know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Tommy Pauly
Apple