Re: [Captive-portals] FW: New Version Notification for draft-larose-capport-architecture-00.txt

Thanks for putting this together Kyle.

After a brief skim (I will read this more thoroughly in the next week
or so), I have some high level comments that I think you should spend
some time thinking about:

1. How to manage trust in the ICMP messages.  I like that you are just
using these to nudge a client into the flow, but how do you avoid
spoofing?  We've a little bit of experience with this in QUIC and
there is some advice on how a client might handle unauthenticated ICMP
there that might be reused (key observation: v6 >> v4 because you get
much better assurances about the message coming from a path element).

2. How do you authenticate the interactions with the portal? How do
you decide what to give it?

3. How to interact with the DHCP-provided URI.  The big failing of RFC
7710 (in my view) is that it doesn't really say what to do with this
URI that falls into your lap.  I think that you either shove it in a
browser or poke at it with some sort of other type of request (you
seem to assume the latter here), but that's astonishingly vague.  This
seems like a great opportunity to point at other work.  Work I'm
hoping will start at the hackathon.