Re: [Captive-portals] practicality of 511 HTTP status code

On 2017-06-27 16:56, Dave Dolson wrote:
Mark, thanks for the info about 511.

But to the working group, I think this discussion about HTTP status codes is a distraction.

I think the ICMP approach is a superior solution that doesn't require modification of transport-layer data.

Redirection of clear-text HTTP is an existing practice. It will continue for some time;
Yes.

but there is no need to tweak it, since tweaks would not be recognized by existing software anyhow...
Existing software == browsers? They should be totally OK with 511. Do
you have evidence to the contrary?
Best regards, Julian