From: Mark Nottingham [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 9:32 PM
To: Dave Dolson
Cc: Julian F. Reschke; Vincent van Dam; David Bird; Erik Kline; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Captive-portals] practicality of 511 HTTP status code

The idea behind 511 was that it's an explicit signal that the response is NOT from the origin.

The payload will be displayed by browsers that don't understand its semantics, and you can use JS or http-equiv redirects if you want to send that user somewhere else.

The real value only comes when a) browsers understand its semantics, and b) a payload format is designed to do something interesting with them.

Cheers,