Re: [Captive-portals] Ben Campbell's Yes on charter-ietf-capport-00-01: (with COMMENT)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Ben Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2015, at 9:45, Warren Kumari wrote:
>
>> Weirdly I don't see Spencer's comments in my mail, but I do see them
>> in the datatracker...
>> Anyway, sure, I'm happy to change this to "these interceptions are
>> indistinguishable from man-in-the-middle attacks"... The original
>> (clumsy) wording was an attempt to not annoy the CP vendors -- one
>> that that I think it very important to this work is to get
>> participation from CP vendors / implementors and operators -- I didn't
>> want the charter to say that what they do is a MitM, because that's
>> pejorative, but Spencer's "indistinguishable from" works nicely.
>

> Not speaking for Spencer, but if there's a good reason for the existing
> text, I can live with it. (But I'm also okay with "Indistinguishable
> from..."

The "indistinguishable from" works nicely -- it doesn't say that CP
interception *is* a MitM attack, and so should not offend.
I did not want to / was not able to edit the charter text directly, so
here is a version that folk can look at that has received comments
integrated:  https://gist.github.com/wkumari/3754605d53fc050591d1

> Thanks!
>
> Ben.

idea in the first place.