Re: [Captive-portals] Ben Campbell's Yes on charter-ietf-capport-00-01: (with COMMENT)

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Ben Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
> charter-ietf-capport-00-01: Yes

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-capport/

> COMMENT:
>
> I agree with Spencer's comment about MiTM attacks.

Weirdly I don't see Spencer's comments in my mail, but I do see them
in the datatracker...
Anyway, sure, I'm happy to change this to "these interceptions are
indistinguishable from man-in-the-middle attacks"... The original
(clumsy) wording was an attempt to not annoy the CP vendors -- one
that that I think it very important to this work is to get
participation from CP vendors / implementors and operators -- I didn't
want the charter to say that what they do is a MitM, because that's
pejorative, but Spencer's "indistinguishable from" works nicely.

Responding to Spencer (I've missing his mail) -- "As endpoints become
inherently more secure" means a bunch of things, including: HSTS /
refusal to downgrade TLS, refusal (or inability) to click through
self-signed certs, client side DNSSEC, DPRIVE (ha!), VPNs, statically
configured web proxies, etc. I had a number of them listed in an
earlier version, but that turned into a: a fight about which are
better, and b: "you forgot $pet_security_mechanism".

Agree that "These might or might not be published as RFCs, and might
or might not be combined in some way." is cleaner.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf