Re: [Captive-portals] Brian Haberman's No Objection on charter-ietf-capport-00-01: (with COMMENT)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Brian Haberman
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Brian Haberman has entered the following ballot position for
> charter-ietf-capport-00-01: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-capport/

> COMMENT:
>
> I agree with Joel that we should keep non-human-driven machines in mind.

... and we will keep non-human-driven machines (unattended machines?)
in mind, but discussions in the BoFs made it fairly clear that this
was not something that we would be likely to be able to solve in the
very initial work.
For example, if the CP requires payment, do you really want your
Internet enabled shirt button to have your credit card information?
And how do you configure your shirt button to know how much you are
willing to spend for it to have Internet access? $1000per hour? $50c?
Can a shirt button agree to an AUP? What about a shoe, or a
thermostat? We will ensure that whatever gets designed does not block
unattended logons, but I'm afraid that we will end up ratholing if we
try and boil the ocean.

I'm more than happy to add Joel's "A secondary goal is to look at the
problem posed to or by devices that have little or no recourse to
human interaction"

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf