Re: [Captive-portals] Stephen Farrell's Yes on charter-ietf-capport-00-01: (with COMMENT)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Stephen Farrell
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
> charter-ietf-capport-00-01: Yes

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-capport/

> COMMENT:
>

> Good to see us trying to make this better.
>
> One question below. (I'm still a "yes" ballot regardless
> of whether the answer is yes or no btw.)
>
> Say if someone wanted to make a protocol to advertise
> that such and such a captive portal exists and can be
> interacted with at such and such a URL when one is
> connected to such and such a WLAN/LAN/SSID in such
> and such a location. Would discussing that be in scope
> for the WG?

As with all interesting questions -- it depends, partly on how I
interpret your question :-)

If you are asking once you have actually connected to the network --
there is already a protocol that advertises that "such a captive
portal exists and can be interacted with at such and such a URL when
one is
connected to such and such a WLAN/LAN/SSID" via DHCP and RA -
draft-wkumari-dhc-capport (RFC Ed)
I believe that it is within the scope of the WG to define additional
ones, covered by:
"- allow endpoints to discover that they are in this sort of limited
environment,
- allow endpoints to learn about the parameters of their confinement,
- provide a URL to interact with the Captive Portal and satisfy the
requirements,"

If you are meaning more of a big directory of what all networks exist,
what all captive portals exists, etc 9so that you could, for example,
download all of this information into your iPhone / Android before you
go traveling in a foreign country, then no, I think that that is
fairly far outside the scope.

If you are asking about something that shows up in the beacon frames
of wireless, then, also no, that is a function best handled by IEEE /
WiFi Alliance. They have already created ANQP, Passpoint / Hotspot,
etc. and I don't want us stepping on their toes.

It you are meaning something else, then I'll hedge my bets with "Yes,
it's in charter..." and "No, no no no....", and choose whichever
entertains at the time :-P

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf