Re: [Captive-portals] Starting to discuss Captive Portals

On 30 March 2015 at 15:14, Warren Kumari <[email protected]> wrote:
> I suspect that we are going to be spending a significant amount of our
> time with the tension between making the user's life better, and also
> trying to maximize the CP operator's desires.

Obviously, because the technical concerns aren't what is hard here.

I was talking about this in the context of having some sort of status
resource, which could expire, be refreshed and somehow indicate that
login was again necessary.  That creates the eyeball-seeking behaviour
if user agents respect the request.  It also creates the right
incentives there: if the network really does need re-authorization,
then it's not really something that can be ignored by a UA.

On the other end of things, all you need is a signal from the portal
that the internet access is OK.  A status resource can provide that
indication.  If you request it after every navigation, it's chatty,
but you are likely to get the right result.