[Captive-portals] Starting to discuss Captive Portals

Hi everybody,

Thanks to those that came to the Bar BoF in Dallas. Feel free to introduce yourselves here.

I think the strongest outcome there was the interest in the draft for a new DHCP option:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dhc-capport
IIRC Joel said he was considering sponsoring this document; it would be great to get feedback from OS vendors if they haven't seen it yet.

Hotspot 2.0 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_(Wi-Fi)#Hotspot_2.0> has been brought up by a few people as well. AFAICT, it's focused on "roaming" use cases — e.g., allowing mobile carriers to offer wifi services seamlessly. That's interesting, but AIUI not applicable to *many* use cases where captive portals are used.

Thoughts?

The wiki we've been using to keep state is here:
  https://github.com/httpwg/wiki/wiki/Captive-Portals
Feel free to edit, and if it gets unwieldily, we can consider moving it out of that space.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/