Re: [Captive-portals] Feedback requested: Charter text.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Martin Thomson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 1 July 2015 at 06:13, Tero Kivinen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Which means
>> every time I go to the Helsinki Airport, I need to start browser, and
>> try to access something so I can click "I agree" so I can get my
>> emails downloading in the background.
>
> That may be a legal constraint.  The network they provide isn't
> entirely for your convenience.  That said, one potential mechanism is
> one where the "portal" establishes a cookie that you can use next time
> to automatically log in.  Previous visits being perhaps the only
> example where automatic login is actually easy.

There are also locations the whitelist some clients, based upon MAC
address and the "if you can do 802.1X you get unrestricted access,
otherwise we captive portal you" - this is *sort of* similar to
automatic login, if you squint at it just right (actually it is simply
a bypass of the CP for known clients, but users don't understand
that).  Some Linksys CPE also has a builtin captive portal - they
create 2 wireless SSIDs, one with WPA (or similar) and a guest network
for friends and such -- this is kinda similar to the 802.1X system in
that "authorized" people bypass the CP entirely.

Whatever the case, what we'd like is a way for clients that connect to
a network that is restricted by a captive portal to *know* that they
are behind a CP, how to find it, and how to interact with it.
interacting with it includes discovering status, like remaining access
time, etc.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf