Re: my work online

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;>
Date: 11/14/05-11:13:27 AM Z
Message-id: <>

Actually I think the confusion could be eliminated by simple
punctuation. I'm reading the phrase "tricolor gum over cyanotype" as
"tricolor gum, over cyanotype" which to be accurate would need four
layers. But since what you really mean is a tricolor print of which one
layer is cyanotype, the label could read "Tricolor -- gum over
cyanotype" or even "Tricolor Print -- gum over cyanotype" which would
read unambiguously without adding much verbiage. Just a suggestion,

On Nov 14, 2005, at 8:12 AM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2005, at 6:13 AM, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
>>> The gum images are labeled as "Tricolor Gum Over Cyanotypes." I
>>> think
>>> Chris later explained that these are duocolor gums over cyanotype, in
>>> other words the cyanotype is used as the cyan layer of the "tricolor
>>> gum,"
>>> which makes them of course *not* tricolor gums, except for
>>> "Vanity,
>>> Vanity." But to my eye, many of these images also have a black
>>> layer,
>>> easily distinguishable from the cyanotype or blue layer.
>> Katharine and David,
>> A couple clarifications.
>> They are"Tricolor"--three colors.
>> I could call them Tricolor **Prints** made from gum over cyanotype
>> but that
>> is pretty wordy and most people could give a rip. I figured most
>> people
>> realize that saying "Tricolor Gum Over Cyanotype" indicates that
>> there is a
>> layer of cyanotype in there. I label one Tricolor Gum and the other
>> Tricolor Gum over Cyanotype--seems pretty straightforward to me.
>> But then if I print an extra layer of a different gum color does that
>> qualify as a Quadcolor?
> David and Chris,
> I think the confusion here comes from the fact that the phrase
> "Tricolor Gum" has a specific meaning to most gum printers who've been
> around a while; it means CMY printed in gum using color separations.
> When I label a print "tricolor gum" and when Livick labels a print
> "tricolor gum," for a couple of examples, this is what we mean. I
> understand the way you're using the phrase, but I think it's confusing
> to anyone who has understood the phrase in the established sense and
> might be confusing to curators, for example, when your work is held in
> museums. And if you used four different colors to make a print, you
> could call it whatever you like (my personal terminology for something
> like that is "multiple gum bichromate" or just "gum bichromate") but
> "tricolor gum" is reserved for a particular kind of gum print.
> I was tired last night; forgive me for seeing black where there was no
> black. It looked to me that there was a black layer that was
> distinguishable from all the other layers but obviously my eyes were
> playing tricks on me.
> Katharine
Received on Mon Nov 14 11:22:48 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 12/01/05-02:04:50 PM Z CST