Re: what is a collotype?

From: Sandy King ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 09/10/02-11:59:13 AM Z
Message-id: <p05100307b9a3e1b6b6e0@[]>

I imagine you have access to Keepers of Light somewhere around
Houston, or maybe even in Tennessee. You will find there a short
introduction to the collotype.

Collotype printing was, along with photogravure very prized in past
decades for making top quality editions of photographic work. You can
actually get slightly better detail from a collotype than from a
photogravure print, though the Dmax of the photogravure is
potentially superior.

Does anyone know if there is any commercial collotype printing around
anymore? I know that Black Box in Chicago, which was once the premier
collotype press in this country, stopped making them quite a long
time back and donated two very large collotype presses to a
university in Arizona, Arizona State I believe.


>shannon stoney writes:
>> What is a collotype in the alt-photo-process context? I thought it
>> was a kind of relief print where you glue things onto board or paper
>> to make a plate for inking.
>That's collograph.
>Collotype was a mass reproduction medium in the early part of the last
>century; many postcards where printed that way. As to familiar images,
>many of Muybridge's studies where printed as collotypes.
>Fast forward to more modern times, Richard Hamilton used collotype in
>combination with screen printing for a number of his prints in te 1980s.
>It is an ink-on-paper method, but unlike photogravure which is an
>etching/intaglio method, collotype is a planographic technique like
>lithography and is usually printed on a litho press.
>I haven't done it. I want to.

Received on Tue Sep 10 13:02:42 2002

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 02/02/04-09:49:59 AM Z CST