[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Attacks from poneytelecom.eu

It's classic Max Weber's formal description of bureaucracy, in the
good sense, ca 1900-1920 as an administrative/management structure.

You try to set up the local office (call it first-tier) so they can
answer about 90% of all questions. The other 10% are kicked up to the
regional (call it 2nd tier) who one hopes can answer 90% of those
questions, and so on.

Or as I used to say as an academic: If you (students) have any
questions about majoring etc please don't hesitate to ask me. If I
don't know the answer we can go to the dept head and ask again. If the
dept head doesn't know the answer we can all go to the dean who, if
s/he does not know the answer, will no doubt make one up on the spot!

On January 4, 2018 at 15:34 list at satchell.net (Stephen Satchell) wrote:
 > On 01/04/2018 01:02 PM, Dan Hollis wrote:
 > > when the first tier incompetence stops, the direct contacts will stop too.
 > But, but, but...when the first tier support person gets the training to 
 > not be incompetent, he is promoted to the second tier and the vacuum is 
 > filled with another incompetent first-tier person.
 > So, by definition, the first tier of support will only be able to answer 
 > questions "from the book".  Anything more complex than what's in "the 
 > book" is bumped to the second tier...where the problem is above the 
 > second-tier pay grade and it gets bumped further up the chain.
 > It's a variation of the Peter Principal:  ex-incompetents will rise up 
 > the promotion ladder.

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at TheWorld.com             | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: +1 617-STD-WRLD       | 800-THE-WRLD
The World: Since 1989  | A Public Information Utility | *oo*