[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Standard terminology for a dark fiber path?

Just my .02 but I would think to call it a "single fiber link" or perhaps
just a "fiber link". A fiber path doesn't strike me as being one solid
connection but could instead include patching in the middle and not be a
continuous strand. As far as fiber loop, that is used to reference the
OC192 transport ring that exists in the DC metro area. Again, this is just
from my experience but I find people misusing terms all the time so I've
come to accept that I need to always ask qualifying questions to determine
what they truly mean.


Anthony R Junk
Network and Security Engineer
(410) 929-1838
anthonyrjunk at gmail.com

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon at cox.net> wrote:

> On 2/24/2016 14:55, Fletcher Kittredge wrote:
>> What is the standard terminology for strands of dark fiber spliced
>> together
>> to form a continuous path between points A and Z?
>> I have seen:
>>     - *fiber circuit* [but also seen used to denote a connection at the
>>     network layer over a physical fiber connection. This definition of
>> circuit
>>     would include the dark fiber path, the transmitters and receivers and
>> logic
>>     making up the data and network layers.]
>>     - *fiber loop *[ Does a loop define an electrical circuit with two
>>     physically separate positive and negative strands? In that case, is
>> this a
>>     Bellhead remnant? ]
>> I am particularly interested in last mile systems, but I don't see any
>> reason that the term wouldn't be the same in the middle mile.
> What do you call it if it is made out of copper instead of glass?  Or air?
> I don't see anything wrong with "fiber path".
> (Answering my own question, maybe:  "dry pair from A to B". "[Microwave]
> Radio link between A and B.")
> --
> sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)