Re: [Captive-portals] Discovering captive portal API URL via DNS?

Yes, the query would have to be directed to the resolver provided by
the network.

I agree that this could increases the attack surface compared to a
DHCP solution. DHCP is also a cleartext protocol, but it is typically
secured via other means like DHCP guard. If the network provides
equivalent protections to DNS traffic (most simply, by providing
strong protections against IP spoofing and on-link attacks), then the
security properties are likely equivalent.