[Captive-portals] practicality of 511 HTTP status code

I wanted to poll the group's thoughts on the usefulness of the rfc6585#section-6 511 HTTP status code.

Has anybody tried to serve 511s to clients, and if so what were the results?

Might it be useful to serve an API endpoint (rather than the full-blown HTML UI)?

I'm trying to get a sense of whether this will be a useful tool to use in assembling a recommended portal interaction.  If we determine it's not really going to be a workable component, then that's useful to know too.