Re: [Captive-portals] Use Case: "Carrier Grade Captive Portal"

Thanks for the explanation...

Concerning the variations,
1. Agreed
2. Indeed, this is the situation we are in today when networks take measures to avoid captive portal detection. PvD just made that easier for them to do. Also, it has been argued that in Android the "captive portal check" is really a surrogate for "connectivity check".... So, would client really *not* to any probing when told there is no portal?
3. It is a big assumption to think portals will not load when redirected to by unknown networks... assuming it does load, and seemingly "works", the PvD device will be captive when non-PvD devices notice *nothing* (no portal or problems accessing).

I will add another,
4. The network has a captive portal, but it is broken (for whatever reason, RADIUS server is down, for example). In this case the PvD device discovered the portal, the user interacted with the portal, the user should be on-line, but isn't. What happens here? The 'problem' could have been temporary, so ideally we want the user to return to the portal... my guess is that the client is still probing like today in *all* cases...

I will reiterate a concern I have generally with PvD controlling the device from a web service which may or may not be within the NAS itself (probably not, in fact, since that would require many TLS certificates). Which is, there will be many 'broken' networks. PvD is saying one thing, but the NAS thinks differently (maybe because it received a RADIUS CoA, or a local NAS timeout or issue, or any number of implementation 'glitches').