Re: [Captive-portals] Use Case: "Carrier Grade Captive Portal"

On Jun 27, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Dave Dolson <[email protected]> wrote:

Eric,
that the intention is for the JSON key “captivePortal” to indicate that the specified URL is to be visited by the browser to navigate the requirements for exiting captivity?

If so, would you say this URL should be used in place of performing a capport detection strategy (e.g., canary HTTP request)?

The idea with explicit PvD discovery is that it would, as a step, replace a separate captive portal detection strategy.

My overall concern with discovery mechanisms that are specific to only captive portals is that this is an extra step that is performed potentially on every network association, that may have limited extensibility for non-captive use cases. Since the explicit PvD design promises a way to discover many properties beyond captivity, and is bootstrapped very early on in the network association, it should hopefully allow clients to avoid the extra probe.

Note: the same “captivePortal” key is also defined in section 5.3 as a Boolean. Should I consider this to be a defect in the draft, or am I missing something?

The updated version of the draft (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bruneau-intarea-provisioning-domains-01) leaves out the specific keys for captive portals, and discusses it more abstractly. That would be a good thing to nail down at the Prague meeting. If PvD detection is done generically on network association, then a boolean or some way to indicate that this is *not* a captive portal will allow the device to not perform extra probing. If there is a captive network, we should be able to get the page or instructions on how to get beyond captivity.

Thanks,
Tommy

-Dave