Re: [Captive-portals] Use Case: "Carrier Grade Captive Portal"

Hi Dave,

On Jul 10, 2017, at 8:54 AM, Dave Dolson <[email protected]> wrote:

At the last meeting, I think we heard, “PvDs can help solve this problem.”
(This seems to me to be true.)
Are the PvD authors backing away from this assertion?

No, we’re definitely still saying that PvDs can help solve the Captive Portal problem. The details of the JSON aren’t in latest revision of the main PvD document just to focus the scope of the draft, but the idea would be that the PvD provisioning information would be how you bootstrap captive portal discovery.

I think there are two aspects:
1.       The PvD data structures on the end-user device, which track captivity state per PvD. (RFC 7556 discusses connectivity tests per PvD.)
2.       Whether the PvD protocol explicitly conveys the captive-portal concept.

If I understand correctly, (1) could be achieved even if capport information is conveyed in DHCP or RAs (vs. in the PvD protocol).
However, that points to yet another API to query.

You’re correct. A client device can keep track of PvD information and already should associate captivity when discovered with the implicit PvD. Part (2) is saying that if we are doing external PvD discovery anyway, it should include captivity information. This is how we avoid the extra API to call.

I think that draft-bruneau-intarea-provisioning-domains has addressed a problem more generic than the CAPPORT API problem.
And therefore I’m feeling it is still worth pursuing.

Right, the draft is more generic than the captive portal right now. I could imagine that we make sure that the CAPPORT solution references and works well with PvDs.

Thanks,
Tommy

I think Tommy makes a great point that there is value in explicitly indicating, “this is not a captive portal”. This ought to speed up network association.

-Dave