Re: [Captive-portals] FW: [TLS] FW: New Version Notification for draft-zhou-tls-server-redirect-00.txt

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015, joel jaeggli <[email protected]> wrote:
On 10/20/15 8:19 PM, Zhouqian (Cathy) wrote:
> Hi Joel,
> Thanks. So should this work be done in capport?

If the question is, "Is a proposal to facilitate the interception of ssl
connection attempts (enabling a man in the middle attack) by
intermediate parties appropriate work for captive portals to undertake?"
My personal opinion is no.

I fully agree.

I *could* see an argument for a some sort of error / flag that signals "I'm a captive portal (or some other type of administrative middle box) - I've *blocked* your TLS connection". This is preferable (I think) to just dropping the packet, and definitely better than presenting a different cert.

What is not appropriate (IMO) is to redirect this somewhere, or try hijack the session.

Think ICMP Admin Prohibited, not ICMP Redirect :-p

But, whatever the case, this is way outside the CAPPORT scope - if anyone were to create such a thing it would be in some other WG (probably TLS), not here.