Re:Paper Questions

From: Jan McMillan ^lt;>
Date: 03/09/05-08:20:52 AM Z
Message-id: <BAY22-F25A9A052DBC10F2646C86DAF510@phx.gbl>

There are two types of Western paper making moulds - laid and wovern.

Paper made on a laid mould is called laid paper. The mould screen is made
out of thin horizontal [laid] rods held together with thin perpendicular
chain wires supported by a system of wooden ribs. The paper can be
distinguished, especially if held up to the light, by the pattern of
vertical and horizontal lines caused by the surface of the mould.

A wove mould refers to any mould with a woven mesh surface. The wove paper
it produces usually has a smoother surface appearence than laid paper.

I use different paper surfaces to change the mood of my prints.

Received on Wed Mar 9 08:21:01 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 04/08/05-09:31:00 AM Z CST