Re: sizing question

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 11/24/04-01:32:36 PM Z
Message-id: <>

From: Kate Mahoney <>
Subject: Re: sizing question
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:14:40 +1300

> Hi, Ithink the prime concern with spray sizing is that it's not archival. I
> have used Ilford film hardener in the past. It's not as useful as
> formaldehyde, but it does work. It's best to keep the paper for a week
> before using it, and to coat between gum layers.

It's less related to the original question and it's probably more for
you, but...

Fuji sells a bottled emulsion called "Art Emulsion." They sell a
product called "Art Emulsion Binder" to use as a sizing layer. This
"Binder" is most likely a styrene-butadiene latex copolymer, which has
good adhesion on many support materials like glass, ceramics,
etc... and emulsions have good adhesion on this substance. I don't
know if other bottled emulsion products come with sizing media paired
with them, but if they do, such sizing solution may find useful for
your emulsion-on-whatever project when whatver find too much challange
to coat on. (Styrene-butadiene is a common sizing for commercial films
based on polyester.)

In relation to the original question, chrome alum or glutaraldehyde
can be used to harden gelatin size.

Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,
then repent." (Bob Dylan, Brownsville Girl, 1986)
Received on Wed Nov 24 13:32:52 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 12/08/04-10:51:34 AM Z CST