Re: Coating Rod Basics

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;>
Date: 11/23/04-12:39:37 PM Z
Message-id: <>

Subject: Re: Coating Rod Basics
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:30:29 +0000

> Go to and order their catalog. On page 123 are the glass
  rods. Get item # 115-20578 for $15.00. Also buy the glass tubing
  cutter, #120-20550.
> To cut the rod, make a good mark with the cutter about 1/4" long.
  Turn the cut away from you, put your thumbs across from the scratch
  and break. Good idea to wear gloves.
> Go to your hardware store and buy some sheet plastic about 1/4-1/2"
  thick. Cut to handle size and superglue the tube to the handle.
> For about $25.00 you will have all the coating rods you will ever need.

I've seen variations among coating rods---whether the rod rotates or
not, whether the rod is wound with wire or not.

I use a rod similar to the one described above except that the rod is
wound with a teflon coated stainless steel wire, and I use it to coat
glass (to make gelatin dry plates). I was wondering if other types of
rods are better for paper (for which, I use "spray-like" fine finish
foam roller, but I might want another option here).

Also, do people find thicker tubes are easier to use as a coating rod?


Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,
then repent." (Bob Dylan, Brownsville Girl, 1986)
Received on Tue Nov 23 12:39:47 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 12/08/04-10:51:34 AM Z CST