Re: Xerox Toner

From: Michael Hopper ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 07/23/04-07:03:29 AM Z
Message-id: <003a01c470b5$73f69d70$6401a8c0@DGT13P41>


I do not think Xerox toner is "finer" than any black pigment for watercolor. Most toners for black printers/copiers are between 7 and 10 microns in size, being composed of about 10% carbon black made from natural gas combustion (similar to lamp black), the remaining 90%being a plastic (polymer) binder. The carbon particles in the toner are about 0.2 microns in size. I think a finely dispersed lamp black will be as good as the Xerox toner as long as you use the same concentration in the print.


Also in response to some incorrect information from Jane Taylor

"It is a great black, I haven't used it in alt. processes (except Xerox transfer, with acetone) but you have to use it with extreme caution as the powdered toner is extremely carcinogenic!"

I have been in communication with Xerox and other major toner manufacturers over this matter and they assure me that every batch of toner is tested for any mutagenic behavior and it has never been shown to have such a response. Very fine powders do have the potential to cause lung damage but the particles that fall into that class are smaller than 3 microns.

It is totally incorrect to say the toner is carcinogenic.

----- Original Message -----
  From: ericawd
  Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 6:45 AM
  Subject: Xerox Toner

  I heard recently the toner from copy machines is the finest ground black around-finer than any watercolor. Is anyone familiar with using this for say, gum printing? Is it available by itself or only in cartridges? How much toner pigment to gum arabic would be a good starting point?

  Any help would be appreciated. I am still sort of looking for the ideal black pigment/paint for rich stain-free blacks.

  Mainly a lurker,

  Candace Spearman
Received on Fri Jul 23 07:03:53 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 08/13/04-09:01:11 AM Z CST