Re: Spotting Alt Prints

From: pete ^lt;[email protected]>
Date: 02/16/04-05:19:18 AM Z
Message-id: <>


A linen tester is a kind of loupe . I donšt know how it got this name must
be something to do with the textile industry. It is mainly used by stamp
collectors and usually available in there shops, however I have seen them
for sale in art materials outlets.If you can imagine a squarish three
dimensional letter E with the centre bit removed this the shape. The top
contains a magnifying glass and the bottom has a square hole cut out of it
to give a frame. The corners are hinged so that if you fold it one way it
makes a compact case, but if it is folded the other way it stands upright on
your stamp or artwork. They come in different sizes I prefer the 1inch size.
The beauty of this handy little tool when in use it is open on three sides.
This allows you to get a brush right down onto the area to be retouched, and
you can see just what you are doing at eight times magnification. I also use
two of these little beasts when registering a set of CMYK negs. One on one
set of cross hairs and one on another. This allows for very tight initial
registration. I have had one for nearly forty years and needless to say it
is a prized possession.

Hope this helps


> Pete,
> and then if there are very small white
>> bits
>> left use an eight times linen tester
> What is eight times linen tester?
> Don
Received on Mon Feb 16 05:08:52 2004

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : 03/02/04-11:35:09 AM Z CST