From: "JD" <jdp at algoloma.com>
To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
Subject: [ale] NISPlus-like Server for Debian/Ubuntu?
Date: Sat, Feb 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Guess I really need a recommendation for something to replace NIS+.  Would
FreeIPA be that next-gen tool? http://www.freeipa.org/page/Main_Page

Ubuntu 12.04 is my main platform today, but a 10.04 box exists still and 14.04
will be coming in May/June.  Doesn't look like FreeIPA has a debian maintainer -
lots of nasty dependencies - mostly Java stuff, it appears.  Java is a
non-starter on my network. Personal bias against it.

Other alternatives for this need?

Heck, even if I have to merge /etc/group and passwd/shadow files manually, then
use Ansible to push them to every box here, that is better than running java, IMHO.