[ale] MD RAID 5 under Virtual Box under Win 7

OK, put down the flame throwers, this is a US Government system, so we
can't change the OS.

Here is the deal, I have a system I'm trying to complete and ship today or
tomorrow that needs RAID 5 with a hot spare. We're running an ASUS mobo
with an ASUS Pike 2008 LSI controller which only supports RAID 0, 1, 10.

This is a dual Xeon E5-2630 system with 64 GB of RAM so there should be
plenty of resources and horsepower. I'm soliciting recommendations/advise
regarding the possibility of creating a Linux software RAID 5 under virtual
box.

Good idea/bad idea?
Pros/cons?
What distro would you recommend?
Never done such a thing, so a pointer to a good tutorial would be nice.

Other option would be to get a different controller which would delay
shipment and probably eat $350 of profit at least.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Clifton