[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 29, Issue 120



You can bond 2 T1 lines to get 3 mbs. Much more reliable than dsl and
cable. Plus its a bit faster than both because its a dedicated lines.
We had 50 voip lines, and 50 computers use it at once with no
problems.

On 6/29/10, ale-request at ale.org <ale-request at ale.org> wrote:
> Send Ale mailing list submissions to
> 	ale at ale.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	ale-request at ale.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	ale-owner at ale.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Ale digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Low cost T1 line. (Michael B. Trausch)
>    2. Re: Low cost T1 line. (Greg Freemyer)
>    3. Re: Low cost T1 line. (scott mcbrien)
>    4. Re: Low cost T1 line. (Michael B. Trausch)
>    5. Trying to Install a Realtek NIC Driver on Fedora 13
>       (Marc Ferguson)
>    6. Re: Trying to Install a Realtek NIC Driver on Fedora 13
>       (Jim Kinney)
>    7. Re: Low cost T1 line. (Jim Kinney)
>    8. Re: Low cost T1 line. (George Allen)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:09:01 -0400
> From: "Michael B. Trausch" <mike at trausch.us>
> Subject: [ale] Low cost T1 line.
> To: ale at ale.org
> Message-ID: <1277852941.2200.61.camel at zest>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> What's the recommendations for this?  To be used for a backup data
> connection (it's not fast enough to be the primary one), without voice.
> Though if a mixed voice/data line would be less expensive, that'd work,
> too, I suppose.
>
> 	Thanks,
> 	Mike
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:22:07 -0400
> From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Low cost T1 line.
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTineTmGVgMomc6aYEin14P9_9e1FdzOVWrcDw2Ax at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> What's low cost these days?
>
>
> On 6/29/10, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>> What's the recommendations for this?  To be used for a backup data
>> connection (it's not fast enough to be the primary one), without voice.
>> Though if a mixed voice/data line would be less expensive, that'd work,
>> too, I suppose.
>>
>> 	Thanks,
>> 	Mike
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ale mailing list
>> Ale at ale.org
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
>>
>
> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> Greg Freemyer
> Head of EDD Tape Extraction and Processing team
> Litigation Triage Solutions Specialist
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregfreemyer
> CNN/TruTV Aired Forensic Imaging Demo -
>
> http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/23/how-computer-evidence-gets-retrieved/
>
> The Norcross Group
> The Intersection of Evidence & Technology
> http://www.norcrossgroup.com
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:41:19 -0400
> From: scott mcbrien <smcbrien at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Low cost T1 line.
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimcmWUpVr-EabrMlrOSw0QJrvykO_8XioeMgrUn at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> You don't want a T1, that's 1Mb/s, you can do better with a DSL or cable
> line.
>
> -Scott
>
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>> What's the recommendations for this? ?To be used for a backup data
>> connection (it's not fast enough to be the primary one), without voice.
>> Though if a mixed voice/data line would be less expensive, that'd work,
>> too, I suppose.
>>
>> ? ? ? ?Thanks,
>> ? ? ? ?Mike
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ale mailing list
>> Ale at ale.org
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:59:05 -0400
> From: "Michael B. Trausch" <mike at trausch.us>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Low cost T1 line.
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux! <ale at ale.org>
> Message-ID: <1277859545.2200.67.camel at zest>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 20:41 -0400, scott mcbrien wrote:
>> You don't want a T1, that's 1Mb/s, you can do better with a DSL or
>> cable line.
>
> The reason for the T1, as I already mentioned, is as a *backup*
> communication source.  I know what 24 DS0 channels amount to.  :-P
>
> The problem is that the only thing there presently is DSL, at 3 Mbps or
> 6 Mbps, but it's unreliable as [email protected]#%.  So, there needs to be link that is
> able to be used to support the office.  While it is there running as a
> backup connection, it might as well also be used to run services that
> they're running already on their DSL connection; after all, the upstream
> of a T1 also beats the best DSL connection there is there by a factor of
> 3.
>
> 	--- Mike
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:45:33 -0400
> From: Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>
> Subject: [ale] Trying to Install a Realtek NIC Driver on Fedora 13
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimc2pjv9x3sGJN-r5UI82_BaRWp-vg7lZ2pRFJx at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've posted sporadically, but if anyone is following I can't get Fedora 13
> x86_64 Live to work properly with my video card. Luckily; i686 works. So;
> now I'm working on getting my NIC recognized so I can finally install it and
> move on!
>
> I downloaded the drivers for a Realtek RTL8111B on-board NIC. Someone
> actually started a Google Code for it. [1] I went through the readme file
> and it simply stated to run "./autorun.sh" as root. So; I did that and I got
> some errors. I worked through them, but still ran into some errors and at
> the end of it it never created the *.ko file that I need. I posted on their
> Google Code page for some help [2], so I'm hoping someone will answer. The
> project looks very new.
>
> And that's where you fine folks come into play. The details of my issue is
> on their site, but I don't think I understand how the Makefiles and
> autorun.sh files play together. There seems to be a Makefile in the root
> directory and another one in the "src" directory. The one in root is being
> executed (I think), but it's not creating the 3 simple directories it's
> supposed to create. The error I'm getting makes me believe that the second
> Makefile isn't be executed at all. Can someone shed some light on this
> issue? Thanks.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/r8168/
> <http://code.google.com/p/r8168/>[2]
> http://code.google.com/p/r8168/issues/detail?id=1
>
> --
> Marc Ferguson
>
> Registered Linux User #410978
> www.fergytech.com | www.digitalalias.net
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://mail.ale.org/pipermail/ale/attachments/20100629/efc828ea/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:50:36 -0400
> From: Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Trying to Install a Realtek NIC Driver on Fedora 13
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTikjXhmmI81-eIdmWhd0lDVoDC5-cOsTP7VD7Ryo at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Since the code should be building a kernel module, be sure you have
> installed the kernel-devel package for Fedora. That way you have the correct
> build environment for your running kernel.
>
> I grabbed the code and the autorun.sh looks pretty straight forward. As root
> just run ./autorun.sh in the dir it untarred into. It will "do the right
> thing" if you have your system setup correctly otherwise (i.e. kernel-devel
> and gcc install. yum install gcc kernel-devel are your friends here).
>
> If you are doing this on a different machine because the network won't work,
> use yumdownloader kernel-devel gcc and sneakernet the rpms over (assuming
> the alt box is also F13).
>
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Marc Ferguson
> <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've posted sporadically, but if anyone is following I can't get Fedora 13
>> x86_64 Live to work properly with my video card. Luckily; i686 works. So;
>> now I'm working on getting my NIC recognized so I can finally install it
>> and
>> move on!
>>
>> I downloaded the drivers for a Realtek RTL8111B on-board NIC. Someone
>> actually started a Google Code for it. [1] I went through the readme file
>> and it simply stated to run "./autorun.sh" as root. So; I did that and I
>> got
>> some errors. I worked through them, but still ran into some errors and at
>> the end of it it never created the *.ko file that I need. I posted on
>> their
>> Google Code page for some help [2], so I'm hoping someone will answer. The
>> project looks very new.
>>
>> And that's where you fine folks come into play. The details of my issue is
>> on their site, but I don't think I understand how the Makefiles and
>> autorun.sh files play together. There seems to be a Makefile in the root
>> directory and another one in the "src" directory. The one in root is being
>> executed (I think), but it's not creating the 3 simple directories it's
>> supposed to create. The error I'm getting makes me believe that the second
>> Makefile isn't be executed at all. Can someone shed some light on this
>> issue? Thanks.
>>
>> [1] http://code.google.com/p/r8168/
>> <http://code.google.com/p/r8168/>[2]
>> http://code.google.com/p/r8168/issues/detail?id=1
>>
>> --
>> Marc Ferguson
>>
>> Registered Linux User #410978
>> www.fergytech.com | www.digitalalias.net
>>
>> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ale mailing list
>> Ale at ale.org
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> --
> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness
> Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits
>
>  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
> faith, then you are conceding that it can?t be taken on its own merits.
>    Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://mail.ale.org/pipermail/ale/attachments/20100629/7bcc0813/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:54:27 -0400
> From: Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Low cost T1 line.
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimRC-FCQGG-ZdMLZli-xr2K0Ru-gwqQ2YyR9Cnc at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> $2.13!
>
> <Tank Girl>
>
> "After the comet hit, all the water went away. So you got to take a bath
> with 15 other people at once. So it ain't all bad."
>
> Speakeasy full T1 = $359.95/mo. Bonded T's also avail for speeds of 3, 4.5
> and 6 Mbps
>
> http://speakeasy.net/service/broadband/t1/
>
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Greg Freemyer
> <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> What's low cost these days?
>>
>>
>> On 6/29/10, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>> > What's the recommendations for this?  To be used for a backup data
>> > connection (it's not fast enough to be the primary one), without voice.
>> > Though if a mixed voice/data line would be less expensive, that'd work,
>> > too, I suppose.
>> >
>> >       Thanks,
>> >       Mike
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Ale mailing list
>> > Ale at ale.org
>> > http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>> > See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
>> > http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
>> >
>>
>> --
>> Sent from my mobile device
>>
>> Greg Freemyer
>> Head of EDD Tape Extraction and Processing team
>> Litigation Triage Solutions Specialist
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregfreemyer
>> CNN/TruTV Aired Forensic Imaging Demo -
>>
>> http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/23/how-computer-evidence-gets-retrieved/
>>
>> The Norcross Group
>> The Intersection of Evidence & Technology
>> http://www.norcrossgroup.com
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ale mailing list
>> Ale at ale.org
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
>>
>
>
>
> --
> --
> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness
> Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits
>
>  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
> faith, then you are conceding that it can?t be taken on its own merits.
>    Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://mail.ale.org/pipermail/ale/attachments/20100629/027f3bd5/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:56:37 -0400
> From: George Allen <glallen01 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Low cost T1 line.
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTilpfdjF8eyzrKYQwY0Cgk1TDp5SB92HoMgy8qsQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> How much is Metro-E?
>
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 20:41 -0400, scott mcbrien wrote:
>>> You don't want a T1, that's 1Mb/s, you can do better with a DSL or
>>> cable line.
>>
>> The reason for the T1, as I already mentioned, is as a *backup*
>> communication source. ?I know what 24 DS0 channels amount to. ?:-P
>>
>> The problem is that the only thing there presently is DSL, at 3 Mbps or
>> 6 Mbps, but it's unreliable as [email protected]#%. ?So, there needs to be link that is
>> able to be used to support the office. ?While it is there running as a
>> backup connection, it might as well also be used to run services that
>> they're running already on their DSL connection; after all, the upstream
>> of a T1 also beats the best DSL connection there is there by a factor of
>> 3.
>>
>> ? ? ? ?--- Mike
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ale mailing list
>> Ale at ale.org
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ale mailing list
> Ale at ale.org
> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>
>
> End of Ale Digest, Vol 29, Issue 120
> ************************************
>

-- 
Sent from my mobile device

SimonTek
404-585-1308