[ale] Pointers to Information?

	Though I would definately not regard myself as an X programmer, I
have dabbled with a few of the toolkits and such. Following would be my
reccomendations:

TCL/Tk - If you like the visual basic sorts of development environemnt,
look for "vtcl", a visual devel environemt for TCl/Tk. I was quite
impressed with this environment, for, it hid a lot of the icky TCl code
from me. Especially things like initial window sizes, button positions
and so forth.

XForms - From what little I screwed around with xforms, it looked like it
did some neat stuff and ran fairly fast, even had a decent dialog editor
with the dist. Hopefully, someone else on the list has more experience
with xforms.

QT - C++ development environment which is pretty simple in nature, and
thus has a pretty short learning curve. Probably one of the nicest
looking toolkits I've seen yet for X. There is a dialog builder for QT,
but, I have found it to be quite kludgy to use. Also, a point to note is
that the QT dist comes with a few simple example apps and a really nice
14 chapter tutorial on writing apps with Qt.

As far as books, I have the book "Advanced X Windows Applications
Programming" by Johnson, and was able to go through, I think the first 4
chapters until I decided that there has *got* to be a better way to write
apps in X. ;)

							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu