BOUNCE geeks@lists.shorty.com: Approval required:

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:23:32 -0700 (MST)
From: "Matthew J. Probst " <mprobst@cs.byu.edu>
To: geeks@shorty.com
Subject: 100GigaBurg BUG (fwd)

 EXPERTS WARN OF THREAT FROM 100GigaBurg BUG

 - Experts warned today of a new and deadly threat to our
 beleaguered civilization: the 100GB Bug.

 As most people know, McDonald's restaurant signs show the
 number of hamburgers the giant chain has sold. That number
 now stands at 99 billion burgers, or 99 Gigaburgers (GB).
 Within months or even weeks, that number will roll over to
 100GB. McDonald's signs, however, were designed years ago,
 when the prospect of selling one hundred billion hamburgers
 seemed unthinkably remote. So the signs have only two
 decimal places.

 This means that, after the sale of the 100 billionth burger,
 McDonald's signs will read "00 Billion Burgers Sold." This,
 experts predict, will convince the public that, in over
 thirty years, no McDonald's hamburgers have ever in fact
 been sold, causing a complete collapse of consumer
 confidence in McDonald's products.

 The ensuing catastrophic drop in sales is seen as almost
 certain to force the already-troubled company into
 bankruptcy. This, in turn, will push the teetering American
 economy over the brink, which, finally, will complete the
 total devastation of the global economy, ending civilization
 as we know it, and forcing us all to live on beetles.

 "The people who know -- the sign-makers -- are really scared
 of 100GB," one expert said. "I don't know about you, but I'm
 digging up a copy of THE FIELD GUIDE TO NORTH AMERICAN
 INSECTS and heading for the hills."