Monitoring system recommendation

Yes, but depends on HW. They support some pretty huge environments.
You have to have "enough" IOPs to keep up with the polling, DB and RRD data.
Then there will never be a "heavy" load...

I would contact them and based on your needs ask them what HW you will
need for your implementation.
You can get real world info from the mailing list:
https://sourceforge.net/p/opennms/mailman/
I would suggest the opennms-discuss list.