Big day for IPv6 - 1% native penetration

joel jaeggli (joelja) writes:
> On 11/24/12 8:29 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> >On Nov 25, 2012, at 10:09 AM, joel jaeggli wrote:
> >
> >>from goeff huston's data they have more v6 at home.
> >And not purposely, either - because it's enabled by default on recent client OSes.  My guess is that a non-trivial fraction of observed IPv6 traffic today is unintentional.
> In their defense, they don't know they have ipv4 connectivity either.

	They don't know it's not real IPv4 either :)

	But yeah, if Joe Random enables 6to4 on his Airport Express without
	understanding what it means, it still translates to more IPv6 traffic
	during evenings and weekend from residential connections.

	It's be interesting to come up with a metric to compare "inadvertently"
	vs "on purpose" v6 traffic. Free.fr, for instance, enables v6 by default
	on their 6th gen freebox (set top box). Is that inadvertent ? For whom ?

	Phil