[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Self-referential whois queries
- Subject: Self-referential whois queries
- From: jtk at cymru.com (John Kristoff)
- Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:17:59 -0600
- In-reply-to: <[email protected]>
- References: <[email protected]>
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:27:26 -0200
Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm noticing an increase in getting "query rate exceeded" at whois
> services that might be connected to a symptom described by ARIN at
> NANOG 48/ARIN XXV and ARIN XXVI where machines ask for the whois
> record of their own IP address.
> Are there any clues of what is causing this ?
Some spam bots do these automated self-referential queries, but if you
are seeing those rate exceeded messages when you perform queries from
your client, you may simply be probably bumping up against a limit for
the source host or network in question.