quietly....

> There are negligible benefits as far as I can tell from the vantage
> points of end systems to creating new private scope ipv4 regions at
> this
> late date.

Here, yes.  In other places, maybe there are other factors.  I am not
saying I favor such a thing, just going through the exercise of thinking
through how to deal with one when/if it appears and recognizing that
such a thing could happen.

Imagine The Repressive Republic of Slobovia wants to absolutely control
who talks to whom over that country's internet infrastructure (or, more
accurately, who doesn't talk to whom).  That is a fairly easy way of
doing it.  They absolutely control the entire addressing spectrum and if
desired, nothing leaks.  Now that isn't to say people don't find ways
out, as they always will.