[ih] Before the DNS: How yours truly upstaged The NIC's Official HOSTS.TXT (An Internet history lesson)

steve,

don't recall exact what early 70's year yours truly started doing this
other than it surely commenced once yours truly became a "Tenex wheel" and
was able to edit
<SYSTEM>HOST-NAME/DESCRIPTOR-FILE.TXT

RST came into being with the inception of NCP, viz. NIC 8246:
https://ban.ai/multics/doc/McKenzieNCP1972.pdf
and later wanting to be changed, viz.:

Network Working Group                                       J. Burchfiel
Request for Comments: 467                                   R. Tomlinson
NIC: 14741                                       Bolt Beranek and Newman

                 Proposed Change To Host-Host Protocol
                Resynchronization Of Connection Status

geoff