[Captive-portals] Any other existing detection methods?

A recent pull request[0] for the architecture document contains a new appendix describing known methods devices may use to detect a captive portal. Two of the ways I have found are DNS and HTTP based.
Are the any other means that clients use to detect captive portal
presence besides what I have described? Wikipedia lists ICMP redirect[1]
as a means, but I have been unable to find documentation from a vendor
to support this.

Regards

0: https://github.com/capport-wg/architecture/pull/26

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal#ICMP_redirect