Re: [Captive-portals] Signals from the network and ICMP

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:06 PM Michael Richardson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Have we considered TCP RST already? (I don't think it's better than ICMP,
but
> I don't remember it being discussed yet)

We can now if you like.  But not all protocols use TCP.

David (Bird) listed some of the things that are in common usage: ICMP
DestUnreach (no specific code), TCP RST, and dropping packets.  Each have
different characteristics.  I think that one product of the discussion in
London was that we don't need to be restricted to choosing from that set if
we think that there is something better.