Re: [Captive-portals] Splitting the enforcement device into two logical components

Hi Kyle,

I'm not sure about the term "device" ... conceptually, I think maybe "enforcement function" is more appropriate. This enforcement function could be encoring captive portal, rate limiting, etc., so the "function" might even be split up between multiple pieces of software, potentially running on different devices in the network infrastructure.

I think it is beneficial to define formally what the enforcement function _should_ do. E.g. silently drop vs. send back notifications -- some vendors already send back ICMP / Dest Unreach / Filtered, some might do TCP RST, none of these give the UE any accurate insight into the fate of the packet.

Cheers,
David

See https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/pcrf-pcef-ocs-interactions-understanding.html