Re: [Captive-portals] I-D Action: draft-ietf-capport-api-01.txt

Hi David,

On Jul 13, 2018, at 9:59 AM, David Bird <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Tommy,

No doubt, I see the benefits from the UE point of view... and, I can see the value when everything is working just right.

We want to optimize the cases when things are working "right", but of course also have reasonable behavior when things aren't.

The edge cases the worry me...  as does the deployment / integration.

- What does the UE do if the API says "Your online" ... but you are not (e.g. Network enforcement indicates captivity) ? (learns to ignore API?)

If the network enforcement indicates captivity, this translates into either (a) failures to access resources, which may or may not be notified with a helpful error; or (b) redirects to portal sites. The UE will not be aware of captivity (or captive-like behavior, since it can't really tell the difference between a real portal and someone redirecting websites) until the user loads some resource, and which point the user may get the landing page in their browser as they do today. This is exactly what happens to us often today, especially when our probes for captivity are defeated. It's not great for the user, but it works (as proven by existing deployments).

- What does the UE do if the API says "Your captive" ... but you are not (the only way you know, really, is that all your friends with older devices or laptops have no issues getting on-line, so you call UE vendor support!!) ?

In this case, the user will see a landing page prompt when they join the network. That's the only "harm" in this scenario. Just like today when the user gets a prompt for a captive network, they can ignore it and stay on the network and continue to use it. I don't view getting a portal page as an issue to getting online; perhaps I see this when I get on an airplane network, or a coffee shop network, and it just gives me extra information about the flight, without restricting my network access.

- After releasing captivity (or starting without captivity) and transitioning back to captive state -- do you agree that indication comes from the network? Or, or is the UE suppose to poll for updates (perhaps based on some expiration in the API) ?

The ultimate enforcement of captivity comes from the network. However, the best way to renew access will be to have a notion of both a "soft lifetime" (when you should try to re-auth) and a "hard lifetime" (when your access is totally revoked). The hard lifetime is the job of the network, but it's often a bit too late to keep existing connections up by that point. The API allows us to have a hint of when the soft lifetime is; this is not a matter of polling, but a way to trigger (perhaps) a local notification to let the user know that they have 5 minutes left, and should renew if they want to stay on the network.

I agree that enforcement isn't the job of the UE, it is the job of the network... But, the examples above, I think, demonstrate that the UE *is* making different decisions concerning enforcement / captivity than non CAPPORT devices...

These decisions, as far as I can tell, are about improving use experience, rather than actually enforcing anything. The UE won't block traffic if it sees the API mark things as captive, etc; but it will be able to give the user better opportunities to interact with the portal.

Thanks,
Tommy