Re: [Captive-portals] I-D Action: draft-ietf-capport-api-01.txt

David Bird <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The "expire-date" and "bytes-remaining" will be hard to synchronize with
    > network enforcement... the enforcement function might not be counting *all*
    > bytes (some might be "free"), session expiry could happen because of time
    > and/or data limits - possibly being consumed by multiple concurrent
    > devices/sessions - but also things like Idle Time or software restart (NAS /
    > AP / etc) or a number of reasons.

If bytes-remaining is inaccurate in the negative direction (it runs out of
bytes before they are really gone), then the host winds up renewing too
early, and that is likely just fine.

Possibly the only situation where this is a problem is if the host has to buy
more bytes, and it buys more than it needed to.

expire-date has a time synchronization problem if it's very short timeout (on
the order of minutes).

--
Michael Richardson <[email protected]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-