Re: [Captive-portals] Use Case: "Carrier Grade Captive Portal"

On 2 June 2017 at 22:47, Livingood, Jason <[email protected]> wrote:
> I’m merely confirming that others share the same use case specified by the German Federal Office for Information Security.

Yeah, I can agree that this is a very common desire.  And I'm glad
that it's the use case that matters, because I believe that the
specific methods you referred to are negatively regarded in many
circles.

The need to send notices with users with whom you don't have an active
communications session is why we developed web push, but that still
requires humans.  The "things" case is tricky, and I suspect that - at
list in the short term - CAPPORT won't have much to offer there.

Though I don't think that we need to abandon hope of finding some
options.  Again in web push we've had some success with voluntary
provision of contact details, see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-webpush-vapid-02