Re: [Captive-portals] Comments on draft-nottingham-capport-problem-00

Regarding non-browser clients, even non-HTTP clients, and considering
this is the IETF, it seems reasonable to find an IP-layer solution vs.
an HTTP-layer solution.

E.g., a new ICMP/ICMP6 error code to indicate the host is walled, with a pointer
to the method to authenticate in the payload.
This could be an extension to "Network Unreachable", or a new code.

ICMP messages are handled by the O/S, and could trigger an authentication work-flow
appropriate to the device, whether it be a human-interface device like a tablet
or a head-less IOT device.

E.g., suppose the a VoIP phone becomes walled during a call. Outgoing packets
are answered with an ICMP message; the O/S immediately performs the authentication
using previously-provided credentials, and the call continues shortly thereafter.
If the credentials fail, the user can be presented with a  window or browser.

The ICMP payload would be a standard format, and could have security features
to avoid spoofing.

I guess I'm jumping ahead of the problem statement, but I think the
"Non-Browser Clients" issue could be changed to "Non-HTTP Clients",
providing a huge win.

-Dave