Re: [Captive-portals] CAPPORT meeting at IETF95 in Buenos Aires.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:04 PM Livingood, Jason <[email protected]> wrote:
On 2/15/16, 12:46 PM, "Captive-portals on behalf of Warren Kumari" <[email protected] on behalf of [email protected]> wrote:

We are in the process of organizing the agenda - one of the things which we heard from you at the BoFs is that you would like something like a "survey of the industry" (e.g motivation for deploying a CP) and a more complete understanding of why captive portal operators do things like defeating / whitelisting the captive portal probes.

Speaking as an operator there is a wide range of ways we use captive portal like tools. I’m happy to try to organize a presentation if that is helpful. Our definition of “captive portal” may be a bit broader than folks on this list may think, so it may be interesting.

Yes please. I think that it would be very useful to get views from operators.
This working group is likely to be run somewhat differently to other working groups - a fair bit of it will be getting operators, vendors and users to talk together, and understand each others views.

So, if you develop and / or operate a CP, we'd really like to hear from you - we give priority agenda time to drafts which have had online discussion, but may be willing to also have more of a discussion type presentation.

One person who may have interesting thoughts to contribute is Steve Bauer from MIT, copied here. He has a novel idea for the need to have a portal-like communication channel to end users that he’s called “net.info” as a working title. I wonder if that might have some applicability here.

- Jason